Green Holiday Tips
Here are a few simple ideas to help you "Go Green" for the holidays (and all year):
- Buy gifts made from recycled materials.
- Wrap with reusable paper or fabric gift bags, or be creative with usable items such as towels, pillow cases, sheets, and decorative tins and jars.
- Purchase long-lasting products packaged in a minimum amount of recycled and recyclable material, rather than plastic and Styrofoam.
- Ask the retailer if they have a take-back program.
- Give hand-crafted presents made with recycled or recyclable materials.
- Resist impulse buying of items that will not be appreciated or used, or that will easily break.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags when you do your holiday shopping.
- Recycle wrapping paper in the mixed paper bin at the Recycling Center (no metallic and plastic coated paper accepted).
- Bring your Christmas trees to the Landfill where they will be chipped and used in the Compost Facility, rather than burning them, which impacts air quality.
Green Cleaning Recipes
Try these green cleaning recipes (PDF) as alternatives to chemical cleaning products. They’re safer for you, your family and the environment...and cost less, too!
Ideas for Greener Events
Having a fundraiser, wedding, family reunion or other special event...? Check out these simple tips at Think Green (PDF) to help make "Going Green" the new theme! It's a lot easier than you think!