Extra-Legal Vehicles and Loads

Extra-Legal Vehicles and Loads

Vehicles or loads exceeding the maximum height, width, and/or length as specified by State laws and County codes.

Authorized extra-legal vehicle traveling on Mariposa County roads 

All extra-legal loads traveling on County roads are required to obtain a special permit which allows operation or movement of a vehicle, a combination of vehicles, or special mobile equipment of a size or weight (fixed loads) that exceeds maximums specified by State laws and County codes. County of Mariposa Resolution No. 71-59 authorizes Mariposa County Public Works to issue such permits.

Obtaining a permit for extra- legal vehicles and loads

Mariposa County issues permits for extra-legal vehicles at the Mariposa County Public Works Office, 4639 Ben Hur Road, Mariposa, CA 95338, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Call 209-966-5356 to request an application form. Staff will send, by mail or fax, an application that you may complete and return via mail or fax 209-966-2828. This enables our staff to prepare your permit and have it available to you. Permit fees must be paid for at the same time the permit is issued. Permits may be used only on the vehicle to which it have been issued. The County accepts cash and checks (made out to Mariposa County).

Possession of permit

  • Permits for extra-legal vehicles moving on County roads must be in the vehicle at all times.
  • The permit must be available for inspection by any police officer, or any employee charged with the care or protection of County roads.
  • Permits are valid only on the specific roads that are identified on the permit.
  • Permits may be used only on the vehicle for which they are valid.