First Five - Grant Applications
First Five County & State Result Areas
At this time, the First 5 Mariposa Commission is not offering grant opportunities.
Grant Applications Documents
Grant Application Process & Changes
The First 5 Request for Proposal and the Request for Application grant process has always provided the community an opportunity to apply for First 5 funding. However, in 2005 there was new legislation adopted which directed the eight small counties to limit reserve funds to only one year. In addition, there has been a decrease in Prop 10 funding (funding is based on tobacco tax and live births). However, the main problem is that First 5 has been supporting prior year grants with reserve funds and now the reserve funds are too depleted to continue to offer grant opportunities. As the Commission discussed the grant application process and the possible new community needs for First 5 funds, they struggled with a fair process. The Executive Director explained that the grant application process is time-consuming and with limited funds, grant applicants are disappointed when only a small number are funded.
Based on the allocation for small counties, the Executive Director recommended that the Commission focus on funding only the current grants, including the School Readiness program, and not offer a grant application process. The Commission discussed the issue and the following points and questions were articulated:
- Funding should support other needs besides preschools
- Is this proposal in line with the Commission's Strategic Plan?
- It is not fair to offer a grant application program when First 5 funds are now limited
- Look at the needs and budgets of the funded grants and lock in the dollar amounts-is all the funding from First 5 needed and appropriate or are there places that the budgets of the funded grants could cut or additional savings made?
- Need to be sure the Commission is not underestimating the needs in the community.
- The numbers of children/parents served could change and looking at their budget expenditures and sustainability would provide information to the Commission
- The seven other small counties focus on health, the CARES program and School Readiness
- Should the Commission offer mini-grants?
Following further discussion on funding a dental program, looking at the needs of the community and the possibility of a grant recipient securing another funding source, there was discussion on leaving the dollar amounts open and simply declaring the programs that First 5 would fund.